Each of us has a little voice inside our head called the “Ego”. Some call it mind chatter, some call it the Goblin, I myself prefer to call it by its proper name, my Ego. There were days I could keep a running conversation with my Ego.
Thank God it was in my head, because if anyone ever heard me, they would have referred me to the psychiatric ward in the hospital. You can actually argue with your Ego.
Here is an example of one of my many conversations I have had with my Ego;
- “I can’t do that”
- “Oh, yes I can”
- “No, I can’t”
- “Why not?”
- “Because, I am not smart enough”
- “You have never done this before”
- “What if I don’t succeed?”
- “It will cost too much, and you cannot afford this”
- “You could lose your shirt if you try doing that.”
These are just some of many conversations I have had with my Ego.
As you travel on your spiritual path and make positive changes in your life, the Ego will try to dissuade you from pursuing your spiritual purpose and practices.
Your Ego is afraid to lose its control over you
So, when things run smoothly, it decides to start feeding you more negative thoughts;
1. It gives power to what you already believe about yourself.
2. It helps keep your self- esteem level at a low.
3. Your Ego will always keep you in the state of fear.
How Can You Take Charge And Control Your Ego?
- Have a conversation with your Ego.
- Taking control of your thoughts.
- Let your Ego know who is the boss.
- Under no circumstance will you accept any negative thoughts from your Ego.
First steps in recognizing the difference between your Ego and your loving guidance from the Divine.
Guidance from your Ego:
- Notice your physical reaction when you have worry thoughts.
- Your muscles become tight and you feel very tense.
- What you receive from the Ego is a loud voice that is always negative and fearful.
Guidance from the Divine, or your own intuition.
- It is a calm, peaceful, a soft voice that you can trust.
- You feel safe, blissful and lighthearted.
- You know that the feeling of love prevails over all fear.
As you become aware of the differences between the two, you can talk to your ego and under no circumstances, will you listen to what it has to say.
This is what I say to my ego when it butts in;
“I will only listen to the kind words of the Divine so please leave, and for that I bless you.” You can talk to your ego anyway you want to, in my case I find this statement to be very effective.
So, whenever you hear that inner voice giving you the wrong guidance, talk to it and send it on its way. You may have to do this several times in one day, but as you persist it will eventually become less and less.
Take Control Of Your Life And Put Your Trust In The Divine And In Your Own Intuition
- Does all of this sound familiar?
- What type of conversation do you have with your Ego?